I excel at failure. My habits are backwards so, I set myself up for it on a regular basis. Planning to fail seems to be one of my strengths!
And, I’m lazy (self-awareness is my jam, so I can admit it without much shame), which doesn’t help steer me onto the road of success.
But I’m also too old for this kind of crap. 🙂 And I’ve finally had enough self-induced failure that I’m ready to make changes. And I think I’ve figured out a way to get my inherent laziness to work for me now.
According to my doctor, I have 20 pounds to lose to make her comfortable with my health. (Of course, after hearing that a few months ago, I gained close to 10, so make that 30 pounds.) Now, previously, I’d half-ass some dietary changes and exercise, then get lazy and lose interest. But during some involuntary displacement over the holidays due to a sewage leak and mold remediation (it’s a long story and someday I may share it), I had nothing but time on my hands.
So I found a workout that appealed to me and then planned every meal for the first four weeks.
Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snacks.
By the time we got to move back into our house right before the new year, my laziness had no excuses. I couldn’t tell myself “Well, I don’t know what to make for dinner, so Mac and Cheese sounds easy.”
I also made a deal with myself. If I could hit my eating and exercise goals 80% of the time, I wouldn’t beat myself up for the other 20%. And so far, this approach has been working like a champ. I’ve lost 4 of those 30 pounds.
And, in case it helps anyone else on their own journey, I’m slapping the first month of eating and exercise plans into this post. 🙂 I’ll even let you know which cookbooks I’m using and all that too, in case a recipe sounds interesting.
And I wish everyone reading this “good luck” on your journey as well. Feel free to share what helps you succeed!
Workout and Cookbooks
Workout: Chalean Extreme – premise: muscle burns fat so lift heavier to muscle fatigue. Workouts are five days a week, anywhere from 30 – 50 minutes. This is what I’m tackling over the next 90 days.
Aside from recipes from the included meal plan, I’m using the following cookbooks this month:
- Diabetic Meals by the Plate
- Weight Watchers One Pot
- American Heart Association’s Low Fat Low Cholesterol
- American Heart Association’s Quick & Easy
And a few magazine recipes as well: Taste of Home Healthy Recipes and Cooking Light Top Rated and 300 Calorie Meals.
And here is the plan for the first four weeks! In about a week or so, I’m going to start planning the next four weeks. 🙂
This post contains affiliate links. These links, should you choose to click them, do not increase the price for you, if you chose to buy the product.